Simple Replacement / Normalization
- Replace or fill an attribute in Data Source A with a lookup value from Data Source B by matching on aliases. When an alias is found, replace it with the normalized value.
- This task is useful to replace one value with another value, or replace different variations with one standard value.
- This requires the use of a Reference Data Source that contains a list of normalized values and the mapping to their alias values. For example, in the Openprise reference Reference – States, Provinces, Regions, it contains State Name (e.g. California), Postal Abbreviation (e.g. CA), Aliases (e.g. California, CA, Calif).
- The aliases can also contain nicknames such as “The Golden State”.
- You cannot normalize on an empty attribute.
- Use matching method “fuzzy match” to catch misspellings and minor variations.
- Use matching method “contains” to search for alias appearing among a sentence or a block of text.
- If you need to match more than one attribute to achieve normalization, consider using the Infer value task instead.
- Normalize state aliases such as California, Calif, Calif., and CA to “California”. We recommend using the Openprise reference Openprise reference Reference – States, Provinces, Regions.
- Normalize country aliases such as United Sates, United States of America, US, U.S., USA, and U.S.A., to “USA”. We recommend using the Openprise reference Reference – Countries – Multilingual.
- Normalize customer aliases such as Toyota USA, Toyota Corp., Toyoto Motor Sales, to “Toyota Motor Sales USA”.
- Segment job title data into job level seniority and job function attributes. We recommend Openprise references Reference – Job Level Seniorities and Reference – Job Functions. For example:
- If Job Title = “VP, Enterprise Architecture”, then set Job Level Seniority = “Executive” and Job Function = “IT”.
- If Job Title = “Sales Engineer”, then set Job Level Seniority = “Contributor” and Job Function = “Sales”.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.